Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bajaj is no longer my favorite vehicle
by Ratna Yunita

It’s been 2 months that I biked to work and really enjoyed it. At first, I really doubt myself that I dare to make it since it's too risky to cycle among motorbikes in Jakarta. Even my parents didn’t allow me to bike to main roads since they were afraid it will endanger my life. So before I bike to work, I started to bike during weekends for short journey to a park nearby home.

Day after day, I felt so tired when I have to face traffic jam whenever I went home from work. As a background, 60% of total journey time on the street is in stuck post or move very slow with speed of 20 km per hour (Indonesian Transportation Society’ survey, 2007). Can u imagine what an enormous fuel deficiency and severe air pollution from total vehicle emission?

Afterwards, I decided to try a new mode of transportation to work and I choose cycling. Why? Because I concluded I have 4 benefits at the same time when I cycle, which are:

1. Faster than bajaj or private car, especially during peak hour

On my first day of cycling, I experienced that I arrived earlier than the building security officer; the building gate was still closed. After 10 minutes of waiting in front of the gate, a man approached me and said “it’s still too early, young lady.” I looked at my watch and the time was 6.30am Wow…!!! I cycled only for 20 minutes from home to the office while it took 45 minutes by bajaj or private car. So it’s not true when people said that cycling will slow down your rhythm of life and bring bad impact on your punctuality. I’ve proven it. By arriving earlier, I still have some time to wash myself and dress up.

2. Good for my health

Beside time, health is also something that really is related to my new habit: cycling. I felt fresher and healthier than before. According to Dietary Guideline Advisory Committee Report in 2005, cycling will burn more calories than walking, while the numbers of calories reduction really depends on the weight and the intensity of cycling. It can also help to protect me against a wide range of ill health effects. In fact, physically active people such as cyclists have up to a 50% reduced risk of coronary heart disease (Department of Health). Therefore, cycling is not only as my means of transportation but also as means of exercise.

3. Good for environment

Jakarta, a densely populated city of 8.5 million people, is well-known for its paralyzing traffic jams which choke the streets with cars and motorcycles and the air with severe pollution. A SITRAMP study estimates that traffic congestion in Jakarta costs around USD1.4 billion per year, excluding the costs from the impact on health from traffic air pollution. Cycling is an alternative mode of transportation which is good for the environment which is a so called no-emission vehicle. It offers a clean, sustainable and accessible form of transport which can help to combat traffic congestion and unlike a car, it produces no noise or atmospheric pollution.

4. Cheap and exciting

Cycling will help improve the environment as well as save money. It is cheaper than riding a car. I don’t have to pay vehicle tax, parking fee, and fuel cost. Even more, bicycle maintenance cost is also cheaper than a car or motorcycle. Moreover, cycling can also give me excitement. Once, on my way to office, I had a chat with another cyclist, he’s an apothecary. He cycles everyday from Kemayoran (central Jakarta) to Grogol (west Jakarta). He cycles due to economic reason; he is able to save more money for his 3 kids from his daily transportation allowance. He has just an ordinary and a bit old bicycle and has no helmet. Wish to give him a free helmet one day. It is an exciting part of cycling where I can socialize with other cyclists with any economical or educational background.

Things which need to be considered by cyclists are about the motorcyclist's behavior and naughty words from people along the road. I should admit cyclists are not taken into account by motorcyclists on road. They honk many times whenever they felt a cyclist blockade their way. It seems that cyclists are their competitors in terms of taking lane. It gets on my nerves sometimes. But as long as I’m on the right track, I just ignore their honks and keep on my way. Sometimes, I also heard men yell at me by saying naughty words, but I completely ignore them. As often as I cycle, I'll get used to it.

Let’s safe the world by cycling now ….!!!

No comments: